The Centre receives funding from the Commonwealth and Queensland governments, which is administered by Legal Aid Queensland.
The objectives of the MRCLC are:
- to provide a free and accessible legal service
- to seek legal and social change in order to create a more just society
- to address inequalities within the law and society
- to promote legal education
- to provide a legal service that recognises the social/welfare issues facing its clients
- to provide crisis counselling and support and/or referral to appropriate agencies
- to encourage community participation in the delivery of the legal services it provides
- to develop and support self-help strategies and alternate methods of dispute resolution
for the benefit of disadvantaged and marginalised people in the Mackay, Whitsunday and Isaac Regional Council areas.