The Centre receives funding from the Commonwealth and Queensland governments, which is administered by Legal Aid Queensland.
The objectives of the MRCLC are:
- to provide a free and accessible legal service
- to seek legal and social change in order to create a more just society
- to address inequalities within the law and society
- to promote legal education
- to provide a legal service that recognises the social/welfare issues facing its clients
- to provide crisis counselling and support and/or referral to appropriate agencies
- to encourage community participation in the delivery of the legal services it provides
- to develop and support self-help strategies and alternate methods of dispute resolution
for the benefit of disadvantaged and marginalised people primarily in the Mackay, Whitsunday and Isaac Regional Council areas and other localities that are beneficial to the Centre.